Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, May 15, 2010

How can we stop the sexual violence in the Congo (well, violence in general, for that matter)?

Haunted by Congo rape dilemma
''The rebel leader asked me two things: 'Do you want us to be your husband? Or do you want us to rape you?'"

Congolese mother-of-eight Clementine speaks in a quiet and hesitant voice:

"I chose to be raped."

She explains: "I told myself, if I tell them that I want to be their wife, they will kill my husband. I didn't want my children growing up saying the one that made our father die is our mother."

But that sacrifice was not enough. Her husband left her for another woman.

"After they raped me, my husband hated me. He said I was dirty. I often ask myself: 'Surely, I gave up my dignity for him, how come he can abandon me this way?'"

...

Jocelyn Kelly, a researcher with the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative's Gender-Based Violence programme, says the men that have survived these attacks on their families are extremely traumatised themselves:

"They say: 'I can no longer look at my wife.' And every time they see this woman, they see someone they were not able to protect. They feel like failures and the only way they can deal with it is to reject their wife and start over."
This is an excellent article. It examines the issue of rape as a weapon from the perspective of the women, their loved ones, and the soldiers themselves.

No comments: