Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 15, 2010

I always thought it sounded familiar

I was listening to the 10th anniversary concert soundtrack for Les Misérables, (aka 'The Dream Cast in Concert') and I love Lea Salonga-Chien's rendition of 'On My Own' as Éponine, (a first, as she is Filipina, and she is the first Asian actress to play Éponine on Broadway).

What I didn't know (until I looked up her in the miraculous thing that it Wikipedia) is that she was also the singing voice for both Princess Jasmine of Aladdin and of Fa Mulan in Mulan and Mulan II. But she is best known for her role as Kim in Miss Saigon, for which she won the Olivier, Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics, and Theatre World Awards, the first to do so for a single role.

Here she is singing 'On My Own':


It's my favourite of the female songs from Les Mis (with 'I Dreamed a Dream' as a close second). Both songs resonate with me very strongly. As far as that particular concert edition, however, the most remarkable song was an encore in which they united those who had played Valjean throughout the world together for 'Do You Hear the People Sing?' (which, oddly enough, is not a a Valjean song at all, but still....) Here it is:

Enjoy!

No comments: