Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hi, there

Sorry I've been amiss in blogging. Sunday after the game I went on a mega-run to Kroger, with almost a whole cart devoted to fresh vegetables, plus another cart, and a bill that would nearly pay my rent. Fortunately I wasn't the one buying. Someone I know has a new stove with five burners and two ovens and is in a cooking mood. Last night he slaved for seven hours to produce a meal of acorn squash soup, vegetable lasagna, and endive-egg-avocado salad. Bless his heart, we ate well, but he was too tired to eat. I washed dishes throughout the whole night to help out. He tends to cook from books by Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette, a Benedictine monk. The food is wonderful, but everything is from scratch, using fresh produce and interesting cheeses. You can really taste the difference though--especially in the pasta sauce for the lasagna. So last night we ate at 1 am and I was out till 3, taking a taxi home. I was dragging this morning.

Today I found out that I had a good performance review at the hospital (all satisfactory or above) but unfortunately we will not be getting a raise this year. I can't say I'm surprised. But I did get both a regular raise and market raise last year and am doing much better financially, so I can't really complain.

Tonight was truck night at the store, and it went well. Brandon was able to give me a ride home tonight, so I didn't have to dodge cars. One tried to run over me this morning. It blew through a red light to turn right just as I started crossing with the light. I really wish I had a sci-fi disintegrator sometimes.

So that's what I'm up to. I'll go check the news. The most memorable story I read earlier today was the woman from Louisiana who sold two children for a $1500 cockatoo (yes, you read that right) and $175. She has been sentenced to 15 months hard labour (she could have gotten 20 years). Good Lord.

No comments: