Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 20, 2009

Sometimes the news seems to parallel the Cthulhu game I play in

We are currently playing a module called 'Utati Asfet', which begins in the Pacific island of Tonga, although we're currently in New Orleans. During the stay in Tonga we encountered a professor who was studying undersea geology. So of course, this caught my eye:

Inspectors head to undersea volcano in Tonga: Eruption in South Pacific not presently a threat to islanders, authorities say

Apparently this area, a few miles from the main island of Tongatapu, has 36 or so of these undersea volcanoes. The eruption is between the twin volcanic islands of Hunga Tonga and Hunga Ha'apai, and within sight of the capital, Nuku'alofa. All of these places came up in our adventure.

I suspect we'll be returning to Tonga later in the story. I wouldn't be surprised if an eruption or earthquake happened...or rather a tentacled monster rose from the sea. :)

PS Sorry for those of you not in the know regarding pencil-and-paper (as opposed to computer) roleplaying games, Call of Cthulhu, or HP Lovecraft--this post probably doesn't make a bit of sense. But I've been playing this game continuously for nearly 18 years, so it should be of no surprise that I blog about it now and then. It's fairly educational--I didn't even know where Tonga was before we started, and I'm pretty decent with geography.

No comments: