Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 08, 2006

So glad to be home

after 10 hours standing at the gas station, listening to bigots who haven't a clue that they are out of line (if I hear one more, 'well he sounded gay', 'well he was so gay', 'well, but they're generally nice people') from both customers and coworkers. Coworkers I feel I can handle pretty well. Regular customers take some special handling, and I have to admit, I haven't quite figured out the best way to do so. Sigh. This is when I ask myself what YKWIA would do. I'm pretty sure it would be a very direct, 'do you realise how bigoted you sound?' or even more confrontational. I should have been more outspoken. Instead, I sort of gritted my teeth and bore it, partly because I was shocked by what was said, and it wasn't overtly derogatory, like if someone had used the f-word. But it was meant that way. I wonder what he would have said if I asked, 'tell me, do I sound bi to you?'

No comments: