Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I'm premenstural and nervous as all get out

To prove the first part of that, I only need to give you this: in watching Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, I bawled from the moment Annakin attacked Windu through the funeral procession. Why? (Spoiler alert)All I can say is hormones. I mean, we knew how it would all end, right? Annakin Skywalker had to become Darth Vader. Padme would never live to see her children grow up. I certainly knew this going into the thing; in fact, that's one reason I took so long to watch it; I didn't think it was a big deal. And it's only good irony that in seeking to avoid his visions he fulfilled them. But today I'm still puffy from all that crying. I think in my heart of hearts I still have the unrealistic view that love will conquer all; I'm a hopeless romantic I suppose. And the facts of life are that sometimes, it doesn't happen.

As for the nervousness, I forgot to take my anxiety meds last night, which probably isn't good since a nurse, physician's assistant, and anaesthesiologist all sat down this morning and told me what terrible things could happen during the surgery tomorrow. Okay, that's a little strong. Actually a handout outlined the truly bad things and the staff went through some of the things that could happen with a minimal amount of poking and prodding (they took my weight, height, blood sugar, oxygen levels, temperature, and blood pressure), we got all the preliminary paperwork over. This surgery will actually be a little more involved than my carpal tunnel ones, because they were on extremities that could have a nerve block, and I was just given happy medicine like Versed. This time I'll actually be under general anaesthesia, with a tube down my nose. I have to take my CPAP machine with me just in case I have to be admitted to the hospital. So basically, my reasons for finally having the surgery--'oh, I got put under and came out okay'--weren't valid. So, yes, I'm a little freaked. AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH! But it's too late to turn back now, and I really do need this surgery. The good news is I don't have to go in till 9:30, and it shouldn't take that long, then I can get loaded up on pain meds and sleep a lot and eat soft foods. So here's to waking up again and if I don't, well, I won't know anything really, but thank you all for reading my blog. :) Take care.

No comments: