Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

So I spent a good portion of last night

Trying to get a certain update to Windows 10 (it's actually called a new version of Windows 10) to install on the laptop, which is also why I never got around to blogging last night. I discovered it hadn't installed yet on the desktop, either, but when I told it to try, it did download and install it. This came out in November, towards the early to middle part of the month. I tried several things on the forum to try to get it onto the laptop--it wouldn't even download it so I could try all those fixes I found, like changing things in the registry by creating batch files full of commands, etc. You can learn more about this update at:

Mysterious Windows 10 version 1511 patch KB 3122947 fails to install

Then I thought, you know, the desktop worked. Now, granted, my desktop is marginally better in terms of memory and processing speed, but what I decided was the main factor is it's on Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. It takes awhile to download the file--it appears to download quickly, but then starts a slower download afterwards. Maybe it's just too much for the Wi-Fi connexion, and if I remember when I downloaded Windows 10 via Wi-Fi it took what seemed like forever.

So I have an extra Ethernet cable that I can run from my modem/router to the laptop, plugged it up, plugged the laptop to charge as well, and went to bed. Then I got up to go to the bathroom around 3 am and discovered it was downloading, but then this morning when I checked it had apparently paused when the computer went to sleep. I changed the setting for that, so it won't sleep if plugged in to the outlet. Then I left it. So when I got home tonight I checked and at first it said it was 62% downloaded, but when the screen refreshed, it said to restart the computer, so it had downloaded completely. It is now at 16% set up. Will see if it works. :) But even so, it is taking awhile.

Oh, and on the desktop, after I did the update, it changed some settings, so it turned Cortana (which I find to be utterly useless and slow) back on, changed Edge back to my default browser rather than Chrome, and did something that made me unable to connect to the Internet, although I was connected. So I went to the Windows 10 Fix Network Connexion page from Microsoft and went to the command prompt (which is now attached to my taskbar on both computers, as I'm tired of searching for it each time), running it as the administrator, and typing the following at the command prompts:
  • Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
This resets the TCP/IP stack, releases the IP address, renews the IP address, and flushes and resets the DNS client resolver cache, which solved that problem. :)

Okay, we're at 20% now. I think I'll go eat a sandwich and do some things around the house.

No comments: