Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

I figured

that at some point in the middle of the night I'd get up to go to the bathroom and come out to check the progress of the laptop update. What I didn't expect was to have reflux. The peanut butter sandwich I ate an hour before bed seems to be sitting somewhere between my stomach and mouth, causing heartburn. I haven't had trouble with reflux in years, so I certainly wasn't expecting it. In fact, I haven't had issues since I was in school. I don't know if that's a stress indicator or not. I don't feel stressed, at least compared to the last couple of weeks. It may be mild nervousness due to the interview coming up. Or maybe I just should have waited before lying down tonight. Who knows? I do have more sympathy for a co-worker who recently had a baby. I think that child kept her in reflux most of the pregnancy. I got to see him this afternoon when Santa came to the hospital. I'm not really in to babies (they scare me a bit), but he was adorable--and slept pretty much through the whole thing.

The update worked. We're at that post-sign-in part where Microsoft is saying 'We've made some tweaks to make Windows even better. Don't turn off your PC. We'll be ready soon.' That's a very good sign. Granted, it's taken about 24 hours to update this machine, which is ridiculous. But it is updating correctly, apparently, and it shouldn't be much longer.

So it's 2 am, I'm supposed to get up and start doing stuff at 5 am, and I'm not particularly sleepy at the moment. I also woke up because my upstairs neighbours, who keep odd hours, were apparently running back and forth or something in their apartment. Our apartments aren't really well-shielded from noise from upstairs, or even sometimes from the apartment I share a kitchen wall with. The bedroom, thankfully, has a firewall between buildings, which are attached together, so I never hear anything from that neighbour, just the upstairs one, when I'm trying to sleep.

The computer just loaded. Oddly enough, it didn't reset Cortana to being active. The laptop has Windows 10 Home; the desktop has Windows 10 Pro, so there are some differences. And the Internet setting issue has cropped up there as well. Fortunately I saved the fix in that one post, so let me get out of here for now and go work on that. I'm up, I might as well.

No comments: