Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 10, 2015

I've been struggling

to remember to take a certain medicine before bedtime, as I tend to head to bed and then realise I haven't taken it yet, and then fall asleep without taking it. So I saw my doctor today and found out that I don't have to take it at bedtime--any time after 6 pm is fine, as long as I try to take it at about the same time every evening. So I'm going to try to do it at 9 pm, and I think I'll set one small alarm on my phone for that. I also was given some sheets that I can fill out and send in via e-mail weekly, and if I'm not doing well with my routine, my doctor will nag me. With working three jobs at the moment and all the stuff that's been going on, plus the holidays, it's been hard to stay on schedule. When my schedule gets disrupted by a large degree, I tend to put everything else--work, friends, family--ahead of myself, and that's not going to work. So I'm trying to get back on track and also do some self-care. Also, I'm very proud of myself--I was tempted several times today to not eat healthily, yet I did great. I had two eggs and a small biscuit with apple butter for breakfast. For lunch I had a salmon croquette, broccoli, a baked potato, and a French roll--without dessert. Tonight it was a peanut butter sandwich with spreadable fruit and a bowl of mixed beans. It could be better, but there were no sweets, and I actually worked a green, leafy vegetable in, which is hard when you eat at our cafeteria. I have the makings for salad in the refrigerator, and I'm considering adding that to the mix, but I think I'm full for now. Maybe I'll bring that tomorrow for lunch. I haven't cared for the cafeteria food of late; there's been little in the way of vegetarian or pescetarian* fare, and I've been reduced to eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches with white cheddar popcorn for days now, although I finally broke down and started bringing my own version of that, because who wants to spend almost a dollar on one banana? So today's meal, with the salmon, was unusually hearty.

*A diet consisting of mostly vegetarian food, with the addition of seafood, which is what I really am, but it's usually easier to say I'm a vegetarian who eats fish, to be honest.

No comments: