Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Just a quick note before bed

I need to get up early tomorrow morning and go into work to make up some time for leaving a little early for my dental appointment today. I also need to drop something off at a friend's before work, so that means I need to get up even earlier than I'd originally planned. Of course, I tried to get up at 6 am and wound up getting up at 7:55 this morning. I've just been dragging out of bed the last few days, both work and weekend days, so I don't think it's just oh, I have so much to do and so little time and work has been somewhat more stressful than normal. And I'm getting a decent amount of sleep. I really think I need to recharge my batteries, have a bit of a real vacation, but I have very little personal time off (I tend to use that for things like today's appointment, rather than fun stuff, and when I was off with my ankle they used two weeks' worth of time that should have been extended illness, and I never got it corrected, so that was my fault, and it's been too long now). Even if I could have a week, I think I'd feel better. The next day off is July 4th, but I don't see taking any extra days with that long weekend.

Today they adjusted my upper partials (apparently it wasn't user error, but rather it was hanging up on a canine), and then a tooth came off of the lower partial, so I sat around for an hour at the dentist while they repaired that. But these are my temporary partials--I get impressions made at the beginning of August for the permanent ones. Unfortunately due to my appointment taking longer than I expected, I wasn't able to give A a ride home from his appointment, but I did feed him dinner when he got home. :) I visited over there for awhile and did some things to help out with something, and then I came on home. My knee is hurting (7 days till I hopefully find out why) and my ankles are swollen. I'm going to have to ditch my sandals despite the heat; the New Balance walking shoes do so much better for my ankles, as they have much more support and orthotics in them to boot. I'll save sandals for skirts and capris, and just keep to the others for my normal pants.

Okay, I've downloaded my readings from my glucose monitor and cleared the readings on the machine. I've charged it while I've typed, which should bring it back to full by now. I think I'll take my nightly meds and head on to bed, get this knee elevated, etc. I hope you had a good start to your week. Last night's news stories left me sort of down. I also found someone on Facebook with whom I've been estranged for years, my father, and that saddened me, too--not enough to contact him, as I think I gave as much into that relationship as I could have, and it's good to have an idea of where he is, because, well, I like to know where the people I've put into my past are, but it saddens me, too, because as a child I desperately wanted to be loved by him, and even after my parents divorced tried to keep things going, only to have him end things over petty greed and lies. I know now that I will never have the nurturing I wanted or deserved, and I tend to forge ahead as if I never really had a father, but of course, I did, and not the one I wanted in my head, but the one I actually had. But I do know as we both get older (he's a senior citizen now), I think of the whole situation with some amount of regret. I wonder if he does the same of me. I'll probably never know.

No comments: