Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, June 13, 2014

Yesterday I went to the doctor

But it wasn't a completely satisfying visit. On the one hand, the nurse practitioner and doctor were very happy with most of my lab values from the endocrinology visit a couple of weeks ago, and were glad that the changes we made then are having a positive effect on my health. On the other hand, the nurse was concerned about the swelling in my ankles and the some pain I've had in my legs (especially the right, although that could be from my knee), so the doctor sent me straight over to St Joseph East hospital's radiology department and they did a Doppler ultrasound to double-check for blood clots, which wasn't likely, but they didn't want to overlook the possibility. My knee, however, was not quite ignored, but they thought sending me to physical therapy would be the best course. Now, I know I have arthritis in my knees, but I don't think this is normal arthritis pain. Today I walked across the hospital to pick up my mail and back to the library and the pain was so intense on the way back that I was fighting back tears. I'm normally quite good with chronic pain. This isn't the same as that. I've been trying not to overdo ibuprofen, so I haven't taken any for awhile, but I took three tablets (600 mg) this afternoon and borrowed a pillow from the inpatient unit. I then put it on top of one of those library step stools (you know, the little black round ones that roll but push down into place when you step on them), and then used the combination to raise my leg under the desk. That really helped. But I also decided it would be best to see an orthopaedist to determine the cause of my pain before going to therapy. So I called Bluegrass Orthopaedics and made an appointment. Unfortunately, they can't see me till the 24th. So I'll have to deal with the pain until then.

We're not playing the game on Sunday due to Father's Day (Brenda usually goes to a movie with her husband.) We have The Great Gatsby (the Leonardo DiCaprio version) out from Netflix, so we'll probably watch that. Tomorrow I'm taking a friend to an appointment. I'd like to go to the farmers' market and also the library. The Lexington Public Library has acquired some land at Palumbo and Man O'War that used to have the Jaguar dealership, and they're planning on replacing the Eagle Creek branch in a couple of years, which means that while it will be close, I wouldn't call it within walking distance, being across two main roads and maybe a mile away. Or at least, not quite as convenient if someday I could actually work there. But hey, I'm glad they will be getting a new branch. I wonder what will go in where the library is now?

I should go work on the game notes even though we're not playing, but instead I'm going to go put up my leg and elevate it on some pillows. And yeah, I will probably fall asleep. I'm going to try to do a little reading, though. I have so many good books on my 'to read' list and have been failing miserably at doing so. Also, Windows 8.1 really, really wants to restart my computer to do some updates, which may be good, as I'm having some issues playing videos on YouTube where the videos are freezing, and I type things here and it's like the buffer needs a good emptying, because it keeps hanging up. So hopefully that will help. Good night.

No comments: