Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, May 03, 2014

It's Derby time!

[Hey, I live in Kentucky, in the Bluegrass region, surrounded by horse farms. I am not immune to the excitement of watching horses run quickly around a track for two minutes in the bid for the first jewel of the Triple Crown.]

I like three horses, Samraat, Wicked Strong, and California Chrome. I won't put them in order of finish, but I have a good feeling about each of them. Keep in mind I know almost nothing about horses in terms of pedigrees and racing performance. I go mainly on names and looks, I'm afraid. :) The one and only race I ever attended and bet on (which was actually in Louisiana), I placed two bets to show on the longshot and the favourite in a five-horse race, and guess which ones didn't come in? I would love to see Rosie Napravnik win, which would be the first winning female jockey in the history of the race, but she's on a first-position horse that will have a very difficult time and is at odds that are 21-1, on Vicar's in Trouble.

For more on the race, see Kentucky Derby 2014: 5 Fast Facts You Should Know for a quick look, the official Kentucky Derby site for more in-depth info. Post time is 6:24 pm EDT. It can be viewed on NBC. Online and mobile streaming is available, but it's a little tricky. For example, the free site I was sent to for NBC's is through NBCSports Extra, which does not list my cable provider as one that subscribes to their sports channel so I couldn't get very far with it. The Kentucky Derby suggests the twinspires.com gambiling site, which I think you need a login for. I'll be watching it on my friend's big TV on NBC anyway, but you folks outside the US may want to see where you can watch it. Anyway, I've spent way too much time on this post, time to get some things done before heading over to my friends' house about 2 pm. I've paid my rent today and have eaten breakfast, but not much else today.

No comments: