Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 27, 2014

This helped after what can only be described as a 'Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day'

From the Superhero Name Generator:
My superhero name is:

The Aqua Mistress

Abandoned as a child, you grew up with an affinity for water - and then, you discover that you are the long-lost ruler of the underwater kingdom of Atlantis! Now you must fight for control of the world's oceans, while also protecting humanity from evil! Aquatic Powers - You can breathe underwater, swim at incredible speeds, and communicate with undersea life! Now, you protect The Mystical City of Upak-Na from graffiti artists, while also battling the evil plans of Il Zuko!
Thanks to Grace for sharing it on Facebook. It brought a smile to my face. Only two other things have been good today:
  1. I got gas for $3.42 per gallon when the rest of town had gone up to $3.75, thanks to Speedway being a little slow to change and my Speedy card, which was good, as I was almost on empty.
  2. A friend called me early this morning to relay a conversation he had with his husband, who is incurably blond:
    • A: You know, I've always wished I'd taken time during school to do a year abroad.
    • YKWIA: Oh?
    • A: Yes, I've always wanted to see Nantucket.
To which, I said, 'So, did you tell him Nantucket is in Massachusetts?', and YKWIA said, 'No, I just put my face down into my pillow and screamed.' We think he is under the delusion that it is abroad because it's an island (I'm sure he knows that from the TV show 'Wings') and so you have to go over water to get to it. Mind you, this is the same man who thought oxen were large, mythical blue creatures and did not know that there were the normal, common variety farm type at all. I am doing my best to share both stories with co-workers and others to brighten their day.

Mine started with the endodontist appointment. It was two hours before I got back to the chair, for which they apologised.At least two people came in after me and left before I got back. But that didn't bother me too much, for I'm pretty patient. I was just worried about all the time I was missing from work, with very little head's up to my bosses, neither of which I had had a chance to talk with about going that morning. The doctor couldn't make headway with the tooth, either, so she drilled a hole on the temporary crown and put some material in the tooth that will soften the calcification. I'm still just a bit numb from the Novocaine, which was given about 7 1/2 hours ago. I even had to have a shot in my palate, which stung a bit, but at least they'd numbed my gums. I then went to work, getting there about 12:15 (missing almost four hours) where I played catch-up all day and never quite made it. Fortunately I should be able to tomorrow. The day ended with me crying over something that happened, and while I realise I am somewhat hormonal and at least didn't get defensive or break down at the time, even though I suspect someone threw me under the bus, so to speak. I merely apologised for my part of the problem, rectified it, and then held it together until I was off work. But I decided it was time to call it quits, went ahead and packed up my things and left about 10 minutes early, crying as soon as I reached the parking lot. It's been a very, very long time since that has happened, and I'm embarrassed to admit that it did, but frankly, my tolerance for problems had been exhausted for the day.

Then I went to the pharmacy to fill the endodontist's prescriptions, pick up some pen needles, and get a friend's medications for him. I stopped by Kroger and got a few things, and then got the gas and picked up a bottle of wine for my monthly libation. I did not go see my friends, because even though I would probably feel better, I doubt I'm great company at the moment. But the one just called asking me to drop off his medicine tonight. So I will. But then I'm coming home and the plan is to pretty much stay in for the night. I'm tempted to just go on to bed, but I feel that would be letting my mood win. So instead I'm going to try to relax and enjoy the rest of the evening.

No comments: