Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

A touching video of parents who made changes for the sake of the son they loved

Kudos to this family, who not only learned to accept their gay son despite cultural ideas of machismo, but rethought all their ideas of what it meant to be gay and stepped in to provide him a loving home. They even went out and found a church that would accept their family as well. Now they lead a group where other gay teens can come together and be accepted. I wish every child (gay or straight) had such accepting parents. Even though the father obviously has struggled a great deal, he came through for his son. Sometimes love means re-evaluating our own thoughts and feelings in relation to the other person.



I also gained some insight partway through the video. The teen explained that where he was so isolated in school and bullied, that he started hanging out with the kids who drank and did drugs because when you're drunk or high, you love everyone. It doesn't matter who you are. I had never really understood that before. I understand a little better now, and as a result I understand someone I care about a little better now, too.

Via Joe.My.God.

No comments: