Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, December 03, 2010

Interesting Aegyptology news

Cleopatra Not First Female Pharaoh of Her Line: Queen Arsinoë II, an Olympian medalist, may have ruled Egypt 200 years before Cleopatra

[I corrected the misspelling of Pharaoh 9they put 'Pharoah') in the title. Hopefully Discovery News will correct it as well on their site.]
Put on a level with the ancient goddesses Isis and Hathor, Arsinoë was considered a goddess during her lifetime and was honored for 200 years after her death at 45. A special shrine, the Arsinoëion, was built in her honor at Alexandria, and a festival, the Arsinoëia, was created for her.
As I recall, Cleopatra's own sister was named Arsinoë (IV), so the name continued to be used in the family. Anyway, the article's worth reading.

[PS Reason #346 not to eat at the computer: I just dumped a quarter of a thing of garlic butter onto my keyboard whilst trying to open it. Very messy. I think I got most of it out, but still....Grace, as always, in action.]

No comments: