Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, December 03, 2010

At first

I thought my eyes were just bleary. But no, we have major fog. It happens rarely here, but I live near a reservoir, so it's one of the places susceptible to fog.

I'm not quite awake. I'm drinking a little soda to help remedy that.

Today should be a light day at work. There's a smaller clinic. We're having our holiday meal for lunch (people bring dessert; the cafeteria provides the normal meat and trimmings for free, plus this year they're providing fish or chicken for those who don't eat red meat. I gather they're not having turkey because they figure everyone's sick of that from last week.) Plus, at 2 we're having a talent show, which is usually fun to watch.

My department (how weird, I'm used to being a department of one, now I belong to a second department with several people) is having a meeting/holiday potluck on the 16th. I was going to ask off for that Thursday and Friday because of a lecture series where there is no clinic or surgery and therefore not much for me to do in the evening. What I think I'll do instead is come in for a couple of hours on the 16th, then go out and do some holiday errands. That will leave Friday and Saturday to finish errands or just have some time in the house or spending it with friends.

We're off for Christmas Eve since Christmas is on a Saturday this year. I'll probably go to Danville and spend the night with my grandmother again.

I'm in a holiday mood, which is odd for me this early. Yesterday I was in Walgreens and I bought some little bells for the tree at work and a couple of Hanukkah cards, one for YKWIA and one for a co-worker. I was looking for bags of gelt but they didn't have any. What they did have was a giant chocolate coin the size of my hand, practically. So I got one and slid it into my co-worker's envelope. I'll see about getting a little bag of gelt before Sunday for YKWIA. I also bought a box of Peanuts cards (hey, they were the most reasonably priced. I am not spending nearly $20 for 12 cards or such). Besides, I like Snoopy and the gang. For the first time in years, I bought some with Christmas greetings. Really, most of the people I know are Christian. There were 6 designs of 4 cards each, and two of the designs are generic holiday cards I can send to non-Christians (so I got 24 cards for $5. Much better.) :)

It looks like the sun is starting to burn off the fog. I should go get ready. I'm trying to decide if I want to go get my rent stuff together today or wait until tomorrow morning. I think I'll wait and check when the rental office is open tomorrow. The bank's only open until noon, so I'm sure I can get back here in time to get a proper receipt. I have until the 5th to actually pay it, but I like to take care of it as soon as possible.

Okay, have a great day.

PS It's jeans day at work. Yay! I'm going to wear my Starkweather-Moore Antarctic Expedition T-shirt. :) [It's a game thing. If you've been reading you know that a couple of years of my life, it seemed, were devoted to weekly forays into Chaosium's Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign. I thought it would never end. But I saved the world. :)]

No comments: