Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Today I tried to eat healthier

I had light blueberry yoghurt instead of a package of blueberry Pop-Tarts. For lunch I had minestrone and a salad. I had an apple and a small package of trail mix for my snacks during the day rather than candy bars or chips. I came home and devoured a lot of hummus and pita, but I still wound up with 2353 calories (less than I burn as at a sedentary lifestyle, but much more than I really needed to eat). I had roughly 53% of my intake as carbs, with 17% protein and 30% as fat, so I need to tweak that. My nutrition was really great vitamin-wise except for C, E, and potassium, and I took a children's multivitamin, so the potassium was the only thing I was low in. I know all of this because I kept a food log on FitDay.com, and it calculates all this for you.

My fasting blood sugar this morning was 294. Two hours after lunch it was 244. I forgot to check it before dinner. It's usually in the 140 range by then. I also forgot to take my second Janumet, which I am going to take right now. I guess it's a start, though.

All in all, it could have been better, but it was probably better than it has been. It was slow and probably useless, but I walked 20 minutes to the bus stop this morning and got out and walked around the hospital a couple of times today. I need to start walking around the neighbourhood now that it's cooler. I got a ride home this evening, so I really should have. Instead I came in and gorged myself on spinach and artichoke hummus. But I guess it was better than pizza or some sort of thing. The least healthy thing in terms of salt, fat, and calories I ate today was the trail mix. Breakfast and lunch totaled only about 850 calories, so I was doing really well. I'll have to watch the later eating during the day.

I can't imagine why you would be interested, but my food log/information is public, if you want to see an example of how FitDay works or you're just curious.

One of the blogs I read, Ben Davis's Ben Does Life, chronicles a young man's struggle with weight and his exercise goals and achievements. Ben used to weigh 360 lbs. Since then he's lost 120 lbs., has run a marathon, and has done an Ironman competition. I find his story very inspiring. Anyway, somewhere Ben wrote that it's best to start making changes in a public manner. His point was we often don't hold up bargains with ourselves, but putting a log up and trying to lose weight (or change other things about ourselves, for that matter) in front of others make us more likely to achieve it.

I'm not going to lose weight overnight, by any means. I weigh 288 lbs., after all. I've set a goal to be 150 lbs. by my birthday (April 2nd) of 2012. That's a year and a half, or 78 weeks, making a goal of 1.77 lbs loss a week. I'm not going on a specific diet. The goal is to eat healthy in general, keep my calories down down but well-balanced and my activities up, drawing from various suggestions. I have a long way to go in terms of exercise; it's actually easier for me to eat better, but that's an important component in lowering insulin resistance and losing weight, so I need to do it. Walking is probably the best choice for me at this time. I do also have an exercise bike. If I can work with it, I may get a real bike come spring. We'll see. Anyway, that's what my main focus was on today. The food log really helps a person be more mindful about what he or she is eating; it's just difficult for me to remember to write down every thing. But the online aspect helps a little.

No comments: