Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I just read a book by a man with scary hair

but who seems to know a lot about insulin resistance and diabetes. It's called Take Charge of Your Diabetes, by Sarfraz Zaidi, MD. I wouldn't really call it ground-breaking, like he does, but...he's right, many doctors don't really get insulin resistance syndrome, even though it's been described in the literature for some time. He puts it in easy to digest terms that I think would be useful to the average person, and his plan gels with what I've read about in the medical lit. I understand the role of diet, stress, exercise, medications, etc., in diabetes--at least in theory. I'm terrible at putting it into practice. But the part that I found particularly interesting was his recommendations for various vitamins and herbs that are useful at controlling blood glucose.

Now, my idea of taking a vitamin is Flintstones chewables. I hate horse pills. I don't even take the calcium I should. But I decided to give them a try. I checked to make sure none of them would react with my medications. I went to Kroger and found several 'buy one, get one free deals', which is good, because vitamins are expensive. So I got calcium citrate with vitamin D (not for the sugar issues, but on the recommendation of my gynaecologist), coenzyme Q10, cinnamon capsules with chromium picolinate, fenugreek, alpha lipoic acid, and some sublingual B12, all at the recommended doses. We'll see if they help at all. There was a 'diabetes mix' which had several, although not all of them, but not at the amounts recommended by Dr Zaidi to be clinically effective. I'll be sure to list them when I go to the doctor next. They are meant to be used in association with diet, exercise, medications, and stress reduction. Here's hoping.

No comments: