Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 07, 2010

I am making a major fat woman fashion faux pas

We'll see if it works or not. The other day I found a dark purple shirt at the dollar store (yeah, I know, the place of haute couture) that looked really cute. Only one problem. It has a belt, a very wide black belt, with thin belt loops to hold it in place. It was very hard to picture what it would look like on my body and the dollar store doesn't have changing rooms (but does have clothes under $10, and I haven't graduated to getting expensive clothes and probably won't any time soon).

It doesn't look...bad. To be honest I thought of incorporating it into an 80s costume for Halloween, as it kind of has that look. But I decided to wear it out in public for real. However, it's a mantra in fat girl figures that you never wear horizontal stripes or anything to cut your middle in half, making you look bigger. Plus, I'm short-waisted, but so is it. On the other hand, it's not baggy and follows my figure, but not so closely that it shows every bulge.

I'm going over to YKWIA's house tonight, and he might think it's hideous. I really should take him shopping with me. What's the point of having a gay friend to give you fashion advice if you don't shop with him? But if I get any compliments (many of my co-workers compliment things I know aren't the best fashion statements, but they seem to like the outfits), I'll wear it again other than for Halloween. :) It is a great colour for me, at least. It's really just the belt that's the issue, and unfortunately, unless I found some way to seamlessly remove the belt loops, that's a problem. Wish me luck!

UPDATE: Well, looking at the picture, the shirt is not flattering. The arm thing is a little scary, and the belt...well, my friend didn't even realise it was a stretchy belt or talk about it bisecting me--it was the fact that the front is vinyl. I confess I never thought of that. I think this has potential as a Halloween costume, but not wearing all the time unless I'm desperately needing to do laundry. Good colour, that's it.

No comments: