Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sad, but a life well lived

Doctor in gripping South Pole rescue dies: Trapped by weather, she treated her own breast cancer
'More and more as I am here and see what life really is, I understand that it is not when or how you die but how and if you truly were ever alive,' she wrote in an e-mail to her parents in June, 1999 from the South Pole.

Nielsen FitzGerald never lost her adventurous spirit and even returned to desolate Antarctica several more times.

'She had incredible zest and enthusiasm for life,' said her husband, whom she first met 23 years ago when they were both on vacation in the Amazon. 'She was kindest soul I ever met, she was intelligent, with a great sense of humor, and she lived each day to the fullest.'

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of this intrepid woman. My sympathies to her family and other loved ones.

No comments: