Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, June 05, 2009

I am intrigued, not so much

by the fact that director Guillermo del Toro (of Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth) is working on the Hobbit, although that's nice...but rather according to:

Q&A: Hobbit Director Guillermo del Toro on the Future of Film

he also has plans for...Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, as in, the story set in Antarctica which served as the basis for the module of doom we played. Yay!

Apparently Ron Howard also has a Lovecraft film in the making, but I'm not sure what that is.

Both have Universal, with its funding, behind them. Often Cthulhu Mythos films are low-budget and exceedingingly 'B' status. I'd like to see a film that really captured the creepiness of Lovecraft, although that can sometimes be difficult with American special effects-driven movie-making. So much of Lovecraft's expertise is in leaving some mystery and allowing the sheer horror to slowly creep up on the reader until the last slip of sanity is taken.

(Although I will say, it helps to read 'The Rats in the Walls' when you really do have rats in the walls, late at night and moving about, which scared the daylights out of me with all the sounds, and of course, I didn't know what I had going in that student ghetto house at the time, so my mind tried to tell me it was squirrels. For all I know, the damn rats had hands, too.)

No comments: