Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 06, 2009

A better day than expected

When I went to work at the store last night, I looked at the schedule more closely than I had when it first came out, and realised that the new manager had *scheduled me for 10 hours by myself*. Come on, a girl's got to pee at some point, not to mention there's no way to take federally-mandated breaks when you're the only person there. So contrary to my usual passivity, I called him. The district manager had apparently been under the delusion that we had single coverage on Saturdays (Sundays often, yes, but Saturdays?), so that's what he'd scheduled. I explained that this was not the case. He got one of the other women to come in a couple of hours early and the new guy to come in for four hours, so I was only alone for four hours total, broken up into two periods, so that wasn't bad. Of course, most of the propane exchanges did happen when I was alone.

As it turned out, although it was relatively steady, things were not as busy as they could have been, and with help around I was able to take my designated breaks, which helped out whenever I started flagging a bit. So even after working 10 1/2 hours, I am not as exhausted as I could have been, which is good, seeing as I still have notes to finish (although I did work on them earlier in the week for a change). Plus, my ankle wasn't too bad, either; it is swollen and does hurt, but not as badly as it has been, even after standing for that amount of time.

Yay.

Okay, I'm going to take it easy for about forty-five minutes and then start work on the rest of the notes. I may write later depending on how that goes. If not, good night.

No comments: