Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

7 minutes/$666/$313/free

  • 7 minutes (How much I beat the midnight deadline in e-filing my taxes. Okay, yes, I put it off, but I've been sick this week, too. I didn't mean to put it off till quite so late!)
  • $666 (How much I owe the federal government for this year...yes, $666. Aren't you glad I'm not a religious wingnut?)
  • $313 (How much I owe the Kentucky state government for this year.)
  • Free (How much it cost to do my taxes via TurboTax, through an alliance Kentucky participates in for lower income filers [You have to go in through the state's Revenue Cabinet E-File web page.])


Having it all over (except the paying, of course)....Priceless.

It's a shame when you make less than $25,000 and you owe about $1000 back in taxes that weren't withheld. I did change my W-4s at the second job partway through the year but I'm not sure how much it really helped. Before I put in the gas station W-2, I had a refund of $424 coming to me, so apparently too much is withheld at the hospital and too little at the gas station. Sigh.

No comments: