Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 03, 2009

I had a really good birthday

And no, I'm not still up in the wee hours of the morning--I just fell asleep in the comfy chair and woke up a little while ago and thought I would catch up on some news/blog before going back to sleep.

Let's see. As I told you before, I slept in a little and had a nice bath. I did some web surfing and blogging. Then I went to see Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D (warning, plot section contains spoilers in the Wikipedia article), using a gift card I'd been given for Yule. It was great! And it was so worth the extra $2.50 to get the 3D version. It really looked like you could just reach out and touch some things. 3D has changed a lot from the paper glasses with red and blue lenses. These looked like regular plastic-framed glasses, sort of like a pair of clear sunglasses, and you could recycle them at the end. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do if you actually wear glasses, as I don't know if they would have fit over all regular prescription ones (here's to having just gotten contacts!)

The movie had a decent plot, great special effects, humour for both children and adults, lots of sci-fi references, and even a little character development. How can you go wrong with a 50-foot tall woman (okay, 49' 11 1/2"), a blue blob, a mad scientist cockroach, an oversexed amphibian, and a giant grub, not to mention an evil overlord? They left plenty of room for a sequel as well. Well, as long as one little detail is averted. Oh, and it was so like the game in some ways, like when people get hung up on them destroying the Golden Gate bridge when they saved the world--that sort of thing.

The voice cast all do an excellent job, and the main cast is great, although Stephen Colbert's president tries to steal the show. This is definitely one for getting on DVD, for taking your kids to, for just going by yourself and having fun for an hour and a half, that sort of thing. Be sure to get the glasses if you can.

Then I went over to a friend's house and he took me out to eat at Masala, an Indian restaurant on the southwest side of town. It was great, as always. He urged me to try something new, but I really wanted the pakora, korma, and pishwari naan I normally have. Maybe next time. I have quite a bit left over for lunch tomorrow, too.

I got home a little after 10 and did some things around the house until about 11:15, when my mom called me and wished me a happy birthday. Then I went and got A from work, getting back around 12:30 am and falling to asleep in the comfy chair until about 4:30 am. Now it's time to go to bed.

So it really was a nice birthday. Food, friendship, and giant invading robots. Yay!

PS Here's the trailer for Monsters vs. Aliens for your viewing pleasure:

No comments: