Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Well, phooey

So I was nervous driving the car because the battery light indicates that the alternator is not charging the battery for whatever reason and eventually, if you let it run, it will die. At work today a co-worker told me that Advanced Auto Parts would put a machine on the car for free and check to see if it is the battery or alternator. I was betting on the alternator, because the battery is new, and still under warranty, but I hoped.

When I drove into Advanced Auto Parts' parking lot, the car died as I was pulling into the space and I had to get some help getting it pushed where it needed to go.

Such is my life.

But...it didn't die on the road. It died somewhere that says it won't tow it, so it can sit until I can get it fixed next week. It also died within walking distance. Theoretically I should be able to get them to charge the battery back up (for free) and then drive over to Mitch's Auto Repair. I checked with my stepfather about estimated costs and he wasn't sure, but he told me about them being able to charge me up. I had the clerk at AAP look up alternators for my car, and it looked to be $134. I don't know if Mitch's can get it cheaper. Apparently they're pretty easy to install, so here's hoping that the labour charges aren't that bad.

Of course, it wasn't at a great time. I was about to do a big grocery run with a friend and then take him to work. I have $2, enough to get over to the game tomorrow by bus and hopefully I can get a ride home from Brenda or Margaret, but enough to get home if they can't. That's it. I don't have money to go to work, have few clean clothes (I was going to ask to do laundry at my friend's house on Monday), and the only food I have in the house is milk, a little pasta, rice, and dried beans. So tonight might be a night I throw beans and rice into a crock pot with a little seasoning and get something by morning. I don't really have crock pot recipes, unfortunately, and I'm not a cook, so I don't know how to convert things for slow cooking.

Oh, well, there's my update. I'm going to try to scavenge something to eat, rest for a bit, and then work on the game notes--I'm really behind because I was sick.

No comments: