Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I itch

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a new allergy. I have a small rash on my lower legs that can be maddening. At first I was very concerned, because about a week ago I went back on Lamictal after being off it for about 5 days, longer than I ever had been. Lamictal can cause Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which begins with a rash, can cause blindness, and your skin sloughs off. (Yes, gross, but also very dangerous and possibly fatal). They really warn you against a rash when on Lamictal. But despite my hypochondriac panic, I searched out the symptoms and it didn't seem to be the right kind of rash (Stevens-Johnson hives are crusty, for example). It would bear watching, but probably wasn't THE rash. So I decided it may just be my new bodywash, which has ground up bits of coconut shells. I'm not allergic to coconut as far as I know, but they could irritate the skin, although why it would affect just my lower legs I'm not sure, beyond the fact that they're dry already.

Well today it's been really decent, no itching. Then I ate a double helping of cinnamon almonds. And my legs are itching like crazy, along with itching in my ear canals, on my side, my back, face, etc. I have lots of allergies. I don't remember if tree nuts were on the borderline or not. But it might be best to leave off the almonds for awhile to see if this gets better, then reintroduce and see if there's any effect. I've been eating far too many of them lately anyway. Also, it may be that the rash is appearing at night--so far it's worse then.

Anyway, itching sucks. I'm going to put some lotion on it to see if that calms it down and go on to bed. And maybe take some children's Benadryl (the adult one knocks me completely out, so I don't keep it in the house). I feel calmer after vegging out in the comfy chair for awhile with my comforter tucked around me. My headache is almost gone but the aches are still there, and the sniffling. But mentally I feel a little better, too. Amazing what a little 'me' time can do. Now that my house is clean, I really take pleasure in being here, whereas I used to avoid it at all costs. It seems like a home, not just a place to dump my stuff.

Okay, I've rattled on too long. Good night.

No comments: