Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 09, 2007

It took 21 years, but by God (and a lot of hard work), she's in space

Shuttle Takes Off with Ex-Teacher On Board

Twenty-one years ago, Barbara K. Morgan, who was the backup to Christa McAuliffe in NASA’s teacher-in-space program, watched as the shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds into flight on Jan. 28, 1986, killing McAuliffe and six other astronauts.

She never let that deter her dream, and went on to join the astronaut corps. Now she's in space, high above.

Like so many others, I watched the space shuttle explode over and over on the news, much like we later viewed the 9/11 attacks. But I was 19 years old and dating someone who's dream was to work for NASA. I watched that dream die that day. I'm so glad Ms. Morgan never let hers. Good luck to them all.

(And even though she works in a totally different area of NASA, let me say 'hi, Tracy' for another person I know who did chase her dream and made it reality.)

No comments: