Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 10, 2007

Random songs from childhood dredged up by therapy

My main theme song as a child, which in retrospect is a little scary

Simon and Garfunkel's 'Patterns'



another one that was very important to me...I was a very lonely child.

Neil Diamond's 'Shilo'



and then there was

Harry Chapin 'Cat's in the Cradle'



I so wanted to be like my father as a child. More importantly, I wanted to be loved by my father, but when he was there, there was never time for me, or what attention I got was negative. I'd like to think I'm not like him at all, but that sort of thing becomes ingrained, and then there's the fact that any time I look in the mirror I see a strong physical resemblance. Fortunately we can choose to change those ingrained behaviours--especially with a little help from a therapist.

and finally....Supertramp's 'Logical Song'



I never wanted to be put in a mould, but here I am in my 40s and I'm this strange blend of wondrous child and a worker drone who won't take risks. I've gone with what's safe because I've been hurt before. I need to start learning to trust again.

No comments: