Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I was a little late getting in tonight

because I helped jump a neighbour's car. Unfortunately it sounds like the starter, not the battery (the car just clicked), so that sort of sucks for them. But it was nice to help someone out, and they weren't even serial killers. :)

On to the news.

It seems to me that either Senator Larry Craig (R-Idaho) is in serious denial or he really believes he can snow constituents. Let's see--caught by police in a sting to stop sex in men's bathrooms at the Minneapolis airport, then keeping the whole thing to himself--not even getting a lawyer--and pleading guilty and receiving probation, then saying he's not guilty and not gay. Hmmm...I know from intimate sources of my youth just what goes on in men's rooms. I also know from my sociology studies (see, I'm using one of my majors!) that the majority of men who frequent the restrooms do not in acutality identify themselves as gay. There's a reason the CDC and others studying AIDS list it as MSM (men who have sex with men) rather than homosexual. Plus, all this is on top of a local newspaper's investigations of his sexuality given his attitudes towards gay rights. And for pete's sake, in the future, get a room.

Only in San Francisco would they have an 'Astrowizard' explaining the lunar eclipse. :) [Video from SF Gate; requires Quicktime]

I'm interested to see how this plays out in the courts:
Yahoo!: we did not assist torture in China

I think Yahoo! has the stronger case, because 1) when it operates in another country it is subject to that country's laws, 2) users of these sorts of companies are warned in their privacy statements that privacy ends when court-ordered, 3) the dissidents knew at the time that they used the e-mail that they were violating Chinese law and were subject to such a court order, and 4) the plaintiffs are foreign nationals attempting to sue under US court against a US company for actions taking place in a foreign jurisdiction. Now, that doesn't always protect you. Think of American countries sued for profiting from the slave labour of the Holocaust in Europe, for example.

I'm not saying I agree with the laws of China; I don't. Nor would I have handed over the files myself. But, legally speaking, I think Yahoo! has a better footing. It will be interesting to see what the courts decide.

No comments: