Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Look to the heavens Sunday night

Perseid shower to light up the sky

I have fond memories of watching the Perseid shower in California in the early 80s under a perfect desert night sky. We climbed on top of a car and lay there, transfixed.

A few years ago there was a shower (can't remember if it was the Perseid or Leonid) and I didn't have a car and was living downtown amongst bright lights. I was really diappointed. I'd missed seeing Haley's comet, beyond a blurry patch far on the horizon, for the same reason. Then, as I went to go inside, a bright light flashed in the sky, bigger than your average meteor by many times, leaving me happy and satisfied.

I am such a geek. But I prefer to think of it as enjoying the wonders of creation. :)

No comments: