Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 16, 2007

One of the reasons my last name is Rowan

You Are A Rowan Tree

You are full of charm and cheer. You light up a room.
And while you crave attention, you do it without ego.
You are an interesting mix of contradictions - and very unpredictable.
You are both dependent and independent, calm and restless.
You are passionate, emotional, gregarious, and (at times) unforgiving.


Mind you, it's probably all a crock, but there you have it. When I changed my name I didn't care for most of my maternal surnames (Craig, Lamb, Roach, Reardon, among others), but I have for some time been drawn to the rowan tree with its rich folklore (it's supposed to be a powerful amulet of protection). So, I went with Rowan. [As to why I changed my name, I was divesting myself of my father's name, since we were estranged. Also, I never cared for the name Broadbent]. Since I was changing the last name, I went for broke and changed the whole thing from Lisa Kay Broadbent to Elisabeth Eilir Aranea Rowan. That way I'm still Lisa (short for Elisabeth). But online I use Eilir Rowan, which is terribly Pagan (Eilir means spring, rebirth, or butterfly in Welsh, and Alban Eilir is one name for the vernal equinox that Pagans celebrate as a holiday).

No comments: