Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Funny how a simple post on medical news became musings on abortion

Down syndrome test urged for all pregnant women, not just those 35 and over as had been recommended. These tests (a blood test that identifies 70% of the cases and an ultrasound that measures fluid on the foetus' neck) can indicate if the more invasive tests of amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling (which carry a miscarriage risk) should be performed. Apparently counseling in older women has been so successful that more children with Down's are being born to younger women these days.

Of course, with the advances comes questions of what to do with the information garnered. For many, the availability of abortion as a choice is critical. On the other hand, I know someone whose niece has Down's who really cannot imagine life without her, despite the challenges. Disability advocates question whether such syndromes should be considered defects rather than merely different expressions of the human condition. There are some people who passionately feel that 'fixing a problem' is an offensive way of looking at people. As an example, there is a huge amount of controversy over conchlear implants and what it can mean for deaf culture.

I am in that older age range, and although it's unlikely I'll have children, I can imagine myself in that position. If the preliminary tests came back positive, I'd go on for the more invasive ones. If they confirmed them, then yes, I would probably abort the child and mourn the loss. I would not normally go through an abortion; I don't believe in abortion as birth control. It's something to be reserved for serious issues. But in the case of a major birth defect, yes, I would consider it, just as I would if it presented a danger to my health (yes, it is a life, and a potential person, but I don't believe in sacrificing the mother, who is fully a person, for a potential one. Now if I were brain dead and pregnant, I'd want them to try to bring the baby to term. But if sacrificing the child was the only way for me to live, then so be it.) I'm not sure what I would do in the case of rape, to be honest. I might just see it as a sign from the Gods. Which I suppose sounds strange when I consider a birth defect a result of natural processes (although ultimately there may be some divine hand in that, too). But that's how I feel, anyway. And I suppose the idea that I would have an abortion might seem selfish to some. But I know my own limitations, and I also want to guarantee that any child of mine is both loved deeply and is given every opportunity to flourish.

I remember some time ago stumbling upon the blog of a man in Asia who was blogging along and then had an entry of how he and his wife had flown to Australia for an abortion because tests had shown the foetus had anencephaly. That is a birth defect where a good portion of the brain never develops. If a child does not die in utero or during birth, it may live only a few days or weeks, never attaining consciousness, given comfort care to let nature take its course. It's a heartbreaking condition. Did they make the right decision? I think so, but it's not up to me. It was their decision, and it must have been a very difficult time for them. It bothers me that there are some people who would damn them to hell for daring to have an abortion.

I'm just glad that there are options availiable for women (and their partners) so that they can make the best choice for them, not only in new tests but in options for dealing with the aftermath. I hope abortion as a choice is not taken away from us. As a personal choice I would not have one unless the extreme conditions above were in effect. Nor would I pay for someone else's (but I'd go with her to the clinic and support her in other ways). I've known two women who have had abortions. Both made very difficult decisions. I stayed with one in the aftermath and saw just how physically and emotionally difficult it was. For another I was there for her when she found out she was pregnant, and offered to go with her, but she took a couple of others instead. I never thought less of these women for choosing to have an abortion. I think it was the right decision in each case. But it is choosing to kill a life that will otherwise grow into a child and an adult, with full personality and aspirations. It's not something to do lightly. But it's not something I can decide for anyone but myself. And if it's necessary, I hope it remains safe and legal for those women who find themselves faced with such difficult decisions.

No comments: