Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, December 25, 2006

Work, work, work

That's how I spent Saturday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas, working at the gas station. But, for one, it's not my holiday. Better that the ones who do celebrate get a chance to be off. Also, for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day it was double time-and-a-half. Not bad. And one of our regulars brought us some food. I had some jam cake and devilled eggs. It's amazing how many people came in for milk, bread, beer, and batteries. We had lots of people wondering if we sold beer on Christmas, but of course it's Monday, so it was okay. It's also funny what people were looking for--lemons, for one. Oh, and cranberry sauce. I sent a lot of people to Walgreens, which stays open 24/7 at Christmas. Even Wal-Mart was closed on our side of town; it's not a super centre or anything. A lot of people were pissed when the Kroger we're in front of closed 10 minutes early. Gee, guys, it's not like Christmas moves on the calendar or anything. You've got to figure that people will want to get on home to celebrate just like you. Plan ahead. I did, and I'm lucky to remember that the 24th is Christmas Eve.

I finally started wrapping presents tonight. I'll give a friend his and then I'll give the girls at the game theirs when I see them in a couple of week. I still have to wrap presents for my family. I'll see them on Thursday. I have no idea how to wrap my mom's; it's big and unwieldy.

Well, now I'm home and enjoying a little bite to eat and having some downtime.

Merry Christmas to all (well, those of you who celebrate it), and to all a good night. :)

No comments: