Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Sad

Military deaths in Iraq exceed 9/11 toll, a milestone hit on Christmas day.
Those who have read this blog for any time know that I opposed this war before it started. I still do. I want the troops home. I want us to concentrate our forces on actually going after those who planned the 9/11 attacks, something that no one has ever credibly linked to Iraq at all.

That said, we can't just pull out all at once. There has to be an exit strategy. Gee, there should have been an exit strategy all along. But for every day of delay, our own military and Iraqi civilians are dying in the streets. It's a shame, heart-breaking. It's something our leaders, especially George Bush, should be ashamed of putting into motion in the first place.

For those who have lost loved ones in this conflict, my greatest condolences. I don't mean to belittle their sacrifice in any way. I am a military brat myself; I have always supported the troops. But I don't believe this war is any service to them; they deserve a more noble cause--something hard to find in today's complicated world, I suppose. And for those injured in this conflict--and for others who have served--we must support them and reward them for their service by taking care of their health and their futures. Some people are comparing this war to Vietnam due to the bog down we're seeing. I don't want to see today's veterans in any way shunned or short-changed in the way that Vietnam vets were as the resistance to war grows. There are certain promises made in exchange for their taking on the dangers they face, and those must be fulfilled. So, our lawmakers should focus on making sure that veterans are taken care of rather than sending more troops to slaughter. And for pity's sake, find some way to bring them home. Soon.

No comments: