Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Get this, here's irony for you

I don't know if it will pan out, but this is what happened:

I was at the gas station the other day and a girl came through the line, went back out to her car, then came back in and really complimented me on my demeanour and people skills and asked me if I would mind if her boss called me about a job opportunity. I said yes, thinking it was probably some sales scam kind of thing like a pyramid scheme of something.

Well, I got a call today from the guy in charge here in Lexington of Primerica Financial Services. He wants me to come to an overview of the company Tuesday night. It turns out that it's a real company, an arm of Citigroup, and it--yes, get this, if you know me it'll be really funny--teaches people how to use their money and credit wisely. You have to understand, I still have debts from when I was married fifteen years ago. I have a credit score probably in the 200s. I could benefit from their programme (and if nothing else, it might give me an idea of where to go to take care of some of those debts). I'm lucky to finally be balancing my chequebook on a regular basis. This is a real hoot.

But if it does pan out, it'll do so to the tune of a couple thousand dollars a month part-time, which is more than I make as a librarian. That could be really good for me.

So Monday I have a job interview for a reference position in a public library, and Tuesday I have this first step in a process, the overview of the company.

Maybe things are looking up for me. Maybe I'm doing something good karmically. (Yes, I know, all karma is actually inherently bad, YKWIA).

The other day, again at the gas station, a woman came in with a cheque that she needed to cash (we don't do that), wanting enough gas to get her to where she could get it taken care of. She offered to leave her driver's licence for a couple of dollars of gas. I couldn't do that, of course, but I did pull a couple of dollars out of my own wallet and set her for some gas. It hasn't been that long since I ran out of gas myself and a random person paid for us to fill up our gas can. A couple of hours later, the woman came back and gave me $7, $5 more than I'd given her. She thanked me profusely and said I was the answer to her prayers. I was a little embarrassed, because I was just helping out someone and for once I happened to have the money on me to do so. I was 'paying it forward' so to speak. But I really made her day, and in return she made mine--I had a free dinner that night. Sometimes you just have to go on trust that the story someone is telling you is right, and if it isn't, just accept that you tried to help someone because it is the right thing to do. She was really touched that I trusted her in this day and age.

Anyway, things seem to be looking up for me, maybe because I'm learning to go with the flow of things and be there for others when I'm needed. Life is a little easier when you're not so focussed inward.

No comments: