Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Someone very sick is out there

Missing cat found slain, cut severely

Someone in Meadowthorpe of all places (a pretty quiet neighbourhood in Lexington) disemboweled a family cat and left it under a neighbour's bush for the owner to find.

I'm wondering if it were just a random incident or if the fact that the two women living together were being targeted because someone thought they were lesbians. (I don't know if they are, I'm just saying someone might think so). In that case, it's not just a viscious case of animal cruelty, it's also a hate crime. Unfortunately, the owner didn't allow a necropsy to find the exact cause of death (she said it was obvious and didn't want the necropsy), so the authorities will not investigate it. (I personally would like to have known if this was done before or after death, to know if my pet suffered. Of course, I don't believe personally in letting cats wander outdoors except maybe on a farm (indoor cats have a lifespan of about 20; outdoor ones have one of only 2 years), although Meadowthorpe is one neighbourhood you would think would be okay.

One good thing is that neighbours have taken up a collection for a reward leading to information about crime.

I can't imagine how awful it would be to find a beloved pet violated this way. Cruelty towards animals is often a sign of sociopathic behaviour that will escalate to harm against humans (it's one thing you find in the background of serial killers, for example). I hope they find this person and put him (statistically it should be male, but I suppose I should say him or her for completeness' sake) away. Unfortunately no one's going to do that for 'just a cat' and it will probably have to be something considered more serious for the perpetrator to go to jail.

Man, what a crazy world.

No comments: