Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Riiiighhhhtt...

Our esteemed governor (you know the one who's been indicted over hiring practices), Ernie Fletcher, or rather his administration, blocked state workers from reading many political blogs after a prminent political blogger was critical of the governor and was featured in a story in the New York Times. The government says that it was part of a more general ban on entertainment and other sites in an effort to restrict Internet access to sites necessary to conduct business at taxpayers' expense.

That could be partly true, but the timing does rather indicate that there is more to it.

I don't care for Internet blocking anyway, but as a part-time state employee I have to question how the state knows what I need access to. As part of my job, I've searched some pretty weird things, and yes, that might include blogs, albeit not the political ones (I'd probably need access to art and culture ones). But what constitutes culture and what constitutes entertainment sites? Hmmmm....

State workers denied access to political blogs

No comments: