Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

It was after 8 pm

and I'd taken a nap after going to the dentist for a cleaning and having some fettucini alfredo with broccoli and tomatoes. I still needed to go to the gym. I told myself if I went I'd get some ice cream afterwards. So I set the cable box to record a programme on the Waverly Tuberculosis Sanitorium in Louisville (it's supposedly one of the most haunted buildings on the planet), stopped briefly at the library to return a book and check out some on walking, stretching, yoga, weight training, and water fitness. Then I hit the gym. A surprising number of people were there late. I bicycled a cardio programme for 20 minutes and thought I'd never get through it. But I did make it. Then I walked for fifteen minutes. I didn't do the weight circuit, after all, since I'd done the cardio workout and was feeling jazzed but a little done in. I think I may add the weights after a couple weeks of getting used to the treadmill and bike again.

So then I hit Kroger, but I didn't buy ice cream. I didn't really feel hungry for it after my workout. Instead I got a French baguette and some caraway havarti (one of my favourite cheeses), some fruit, and something to drink, especially water.

I'm proud of myself. I went ahead and did something good for me even though I didn't feel much like doing it, rather than (as a friend put it) lying there listening to my thighs spread. Now to do a little reading and pick up a friend from work, and then I'm ready to head to bed.

No comments: