Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 03, 2006

Excitement

I was working at one of the other gas stations in town, on loan, when a brand new BMW pulled in with smoke pouring out of it. The other cashier, who was on his break and heading for a fast food place, went to investigate, cigarette in mouth, then ran for the fire extinguisher and started using it as flames and denser smoke started pouring forth. Meanwhile, I--not familiar with this store--hunted for the phone and called 911. The fire department was already on its way, although they apparently didn't come from the one on the other side of the shopping centre from the gas station. They put out the fire, filled out reports, etc. Meanwhile, I'm waiting on customers through all this. All ended well (except, I suppose, for the driver of the car, who hopefully had insurance). And all I could think of, and several customers said the same thing: if you think your car is on fire, DON'T pull up next to a pump holding an extremely flammable liquid like gasoline. I mean, I guess they did for the lighting, but who knows what could have happened if anything exploded.

And all the excitement scared away the ducks that visit the station consistently (the station even has a bin of duck food (corn) in the back). :)

Anyway, that was my adventure for the night. I've worked ten hours today and I'm pooped. 'Night.

No comments: