Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Well, damnation

I've been in this limbo for a couple of years between insulin resistance and full-blown diabetes. I've never had a doctor officially say I'm diabetic; a diabetes nurse educator insisted I was when I was sent there regarding my insulin resistance syndrome.

So, after not being on the metformin for some time and having every doctor and physician's assistant I talked to for my oral surgery chide me, I sheepishly returned to my doctor and asked to be put on the medicine. He decided to take labs like my serum blood sugar, a urine test, and the hemoglobin A1C (that shows how well your blood sugar runs over a three-month period). I find out in a couple of weeks what the results of that are, and then we'll make the decision regarding medicine. In the meantime, I'm testing my blood sugar every morning before breakfast. Yesterday was 164, well in my normal range of 150-170...high for fasting but not over the 200 mark generally associated with diabetes.

Today was 299. And I felt fine, but that's way too high. I'd like to think it's a glitch, but the metre is new and appears to be working fine. I won't worry until I get more results, but it did sort of drive the nail home that I need to be taking care of myself better.

I just hope it's still in the stage of being treated with oral medicines and diet rather than injections of insulin. I'm going to have to make some changes, that's for sure. Most of my family--great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, aunt--all have diabetes. Even my stepfather does. What can I say, I definitely got the gene. But at least if I am diabetic, I'll have the diagnosis much earlier than any of them had, so maybe I can avoid things like neuropathy and other issues they're having.

Sigh.

No comments: