Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Yes!

I've been saying this for years. Granted, some SUVs, particularly those built from the 'ground up' rather than being a glorified light truck with lower minimum standards, might be safer. Maybe the godawfully huge ones are. But as someone who frankly isn't likely to drive anything but a small car, I'm rather against SUVs. Not are they (generally) gas-guzzlers (although that's improving), they're hard to see around, tend to rollover and, in some cases aren't required to be as safe (say, in the side impact area, a weakness of light trucks, too). Not what I'd choose to put my child in. Give me a mini-van or a large car that has some actual steel in it. I just don't understand the appeal of SUVs. I mean, yeah, if you live in hilly country or for that matter out in the country, they make sense. But the giant spotless ones I see everyday don't.
My US Study Calls SUV Safety Into Question

Okay, I'm finished with my rant now. No offence, those of you who have an SUV. It's just a peeve of mine.

No comments: