Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 01, 2003

Thursday Three



I'm impatient for Friday. So I'm going to cool my heels a bit and come up with three questions of my own for you. In honour of the upcoming movie X2: X-Men United (as opposed to Untied, which is what I type every time) that opens this weekend, we'll start with the following:

1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
2. Would you tell people you had it?
3. How would you use it (try to take over the world, become a master criminal, become a superhero, etc.)

Here are my answers:

1. While some are flashier, I'd prefer being able to instinctively manipulate objects on a molecular/subatomic level. Doesn't sound spiffy, does it? But think about it--you could heal someone of cancer, alter the appearance, create a protective armour, combine the nutrients needed to grow plants lushly, or split the atom. Virtually every superpower, if you were powerful and skilled enough, could be mimiced. It would be like magic. To a certain extent you might be able to alter reality. And you wouldn't be big and furry or have something that flashed that you were any different from anyone else. And of course, you'd need a strong will to remain down to earth and not drunk with power. Oh, and I say instinctively because frankly, I don't understand subatomic science. I don't want to know how to do it--I just want to know what result I want and practice until I get it right. (Splitting the atom being one you don't want to do at home).

2. Not except my closest friends. That gift could make for a powerful weapon. I'm sure there would be people who would try to both get it or destroy it. But fear of exposure shouldn't keep one from using the gift when necessary.

3. I would look silly in spandex. Still, I could not help but try to use it to heal, to explore, to improve the world around me. There's a very strong streak in me that wants to save the world. Superpowers can't really do that, of course. Even with superpowers it still comes down to people doing various forms of good and evil. But I can't imagine having that power and not doing what I could to help.

Well, Dwana will be here soon to pick me up. Hope that tides you over until Friday.

No comments: