Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 11, 2003

My weekend so far...


has been pretty nice. Yesterday I went to see X2:X-Men United yesterday with friends. It was great. Now that the first movie has had a chance to introduce the characters (or at least their version of them) to a general audience who may not have read the comics, the story was able to proceed at a better pace. More development this time was put into some of the younger members. And even though my favourite character (Gambit) was not on camera, his name (Remy LeBeau) flashed by. And Dee was happy to see a couple of glimpses of Hank McCoy (Beast). There's lots of little details that are meaningful for people who read the comics (admittedly, while I helped run a comic store, I didn't read X-Men as a kid and when I was working there were just so many X titles to keep up with, so I got some tips from longtime fans that made a lot of what was happening to Jean Grey make more sense. If you don't know about the Phoenix saga, grab a comic geek and get him or her to spill the beans.

Last night I had several very strange dreams. One involved my grandmother. I keep having these dreams where 1) the farm is still in the family, but there are subtle changes in the house and grounds, 2) no one thinks it should still be ours, 3) there's a zoo in Owenton. Later there was a dream with people from 'Jackie Chan Adventures' and Phoebe and Piper from 'Charmed' who were running a small boutique but got shrunk down to the size of Barbie (tm) dolls right before Christmas. Too much television this week, I'm sure. And then, because I'd watched two movies in one day (I followed up with George of the Jungle just for fun) I wound up having a bizarre dream which would make a great musical. Two men are brothers. One is quiet, serious, and has had a series of failed relationships with women. One is quite flamboyantly gay. The first discovers he has feelings for another man, and they fall for one another. The second is jealous, because he is both because he likes the the other man and he feels his brother is encroaching on his world. The Lexington Men's Chorus appears in it. At one point they're out on High Street singing a very odd rendition of 'My Way'. I woke up after this and decided I better blog about it before I lost the memory of it.

No comments: