Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 29, 2003

Okay, I'm back



Sorry, I've crashed each of the last two days--yesterday I was asleep by 6pm and didn't wake up until 3am, then went back to sleep and still managed to sleep through my alarm until 9am. Fortunately I don't have to be to work until 9:30. :)

What I'm listening to tonight: Once More, with Feeling (Buffy: the Musical)
Here's an excerpt "Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes - They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses - And what's with all the carrots - What do they need such good eyesight for anyway". Okay, maybe you have to be a Buffy fan. Obviously that's an Anya song. :)
What I'm reading: The June issue of Victoria magazine.

The CD is courtesy of a gift certificate to Joseph-Beth that I received for serving as president of our local library consortium last year. I got that, Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis, and Teach Yourself Hieroglyphs. (Can you tell I was afraid I'd lose the certificate?) Then I took the change and stopped by Cold Stone Creamery. Gee guys, that's waaaaaaaaayyy so much better than a plaque! :) Let's see, $50 at your favourite bookstore or something to gather dust on a wall. No contest. :) And it's helping with the Buffy withdrawl.

Before I crashed yesterday things had gone well. We'd had our library meeting, with an excellent catered lunch (fettucine alfredo with broccoli, salad, yummy rolls that tasted like my grandma's, and carrot cake). Come to think of it, maybe that's why I crashed later. Our continuing education topic was electronic journals, and much of the afternoon involved negotiating software licences. For the record, I now more than anyone without a Juris Doctor has a right to on this subject. Fortunately the speakers were both animated and enjoyable. The truly frightening thing is that occasionally I feel like going to law school (after all, I have a history degree--that's one of the best preparations, right?) I wouldn't be a criminal lawyer--no Perry Mason drama for me. I'd be one of those people who help the disabled get their social security or do civil rights challenges, etc. Meaning I'd have yet another job that wouldn't pay well. Sometimes it's kind of bad to be an idealist. I mean, I'm right in that bracket that's making such headlines for not getting any tax relief (over minimum wage but less than $25,000 a year) already. All I need is more student loans and less ability to make a living. :)

Today's my grandmother's 79th birthday. I still haven't found anything suitable for her (but then I haven't found anything for
Zabet yet, and hers was a month ago! I did call Ma, though, to wish her a happy birthday. I'm going home to Danville on Saturday, too. Next weekend I'm attending our company picnic/minor league baseball game, which, while fun, sort of sucks because my aunt and uncle are apparently stopping by on their way back to San Antonio from an Ohio visit that weekend. :( Maybe they could stop by when they drive through Lexington. :)

One profound thing today: I was reading the latest National Geographic's article on the status of the Dalit (aka Untouchables) of India. It was very moving. You can check out some of the information on the online article, but the most disturbing and sobering image is in the print version--a photo of two young men who were attacked by higher caste villagers for fishing in a pond. These so-called "superior people" threw acid on the men. One in particular looks like he would be quite handsome, except that three-quarters of his face and a good portion of his neck and chest have literally melted into a twisted form he'll carry for the rest of his life. I'd say he's blind in one eye, as well. If the theory is that a person is only born into the lowest caste due to some horrendous thing in the past, then anyone who would do such a thing to another human (or any living thing, for that matter) surely should fall to the bottom next go around. But it'd be better if they were prosecuted in this lifetime, don't you think? If you want to learn more about the Dalit and their cause, you may want to check out Ambedkar.org, which is named for the Dalit's greatest champion and includes up-to-date news.

Seeing this reminds me how, as an American with not merely basic freedoms but a pretty decent scope of rights, where money and fame may make a difference but the inherent dignity of all people is guaranteed by our constitution, I just can't understand the cultural reasons behind something like the caste system. And for once, I'm glad that I will never understand. I just wish they could all come here and make new lives.

Well, that's enough ranting for tonight. If you have a chance, check out the magazine. Well, I'll probably post the F5 in a few minutes and then bid a good night. :)

No comments: