Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, May 02, 2003

Oops...let me tell you one more thing (I'm told that was my favourite line when I was three years old)



Last night I took a quiz that rates how well you mesh with religious systems based on a detailed series of questions. I told Dwana about it and she wanted me to send her the site, but I know she'll check the blog, so I'll post it here. It's called SelectSmart. Click on the first link under "Religion Selector".

My results were very interesting. The percentage indicates how close a match you are to the religion.

1. Neo-Pagan (100%) (Well, that's comforting, since I am Pagan. But not Neo-Pagan. It's a small distinction most non-Pagans wouldn't recognise.)
2. New Age (86%) (Well, I guess that figures. But I'm not into New Age practices for their own sake.)
3. Mahayana Buddhism (81%) (I really don't know the difference between the two Buddhist forms. I should check that out.)
4. Unitarian Universalism (78%) (I have been a member of the UU church and still would be if they weren't so pushy about money.)
5. Theravada Buddhism (74%) (See 3, above.)
6. Hinduism (73%) (Hindus will tell you otherwise because the term pagan has come to have bad connotations in the West, but it is the last remaining Indo-European pagan faith.)
7. Scientology (68%) (Scientology scares me. The fact I scored even that well against them scares me more.)
8. New Thought (64%) (I had no idea what this was until I went to http://newthoughtalliance.org/. Interesting something to explore.)
9. Jainism (60%) (I've always thought I would make a lovely Jain. I mean, come on, I watch where I walk so I won't step on ants.)
10. Sikhism (59%) (I can see that. I know a little about it now, and it's basically an attempt to lead a moral and pure life. But they're monotheists.)
11. Liberal Quakers (58%)
12. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (58%)
13. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (56%) (I've read some of the writings of the founder of Christian Science and it reminds me of Theosophy and other Victorian attempts at understanding the universe. As much as I believe in prayer and natural healing, though, give me an antibiotic if I need it.)
14. Reform Judaism (56%) I considered converting at some point, but if I had, I think I'd have to have been Orthodox, which isn't the greatest if you're female.)
15. Orthodox Quaker (47%)
16. Secular Humanism (46%)
17. Taoism (44%)
18. Bahá'í Faith (41%)
19. Orthodox Judaism (39%)
20. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (35%)
21. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (28%)
22. Eastern Orthodox (28%)
23. Islam (28%)
24. Roman Catholic (28%)
25. Seventh Day Adventist (25%)
26. Jehovah's Witness (23%)
27. Non-theist (20%)

I'm intrigued that Catholicism is so far down on the list. I always rather thought that if I were Christian I'd be Catholic. Christianity didn't even make it into the top ten. You'd never know that I come from a long line of Baptists, Presbyterians, and a random Hugenot or two, would you? Or that on two separate branches of the family virtually every male was a Baptist minister? Hmmm...

Check out the site. There are a lot of pop-ups (and resist any requests to download programs), but there are also links to sites related to those topics. And it's not just religion, there are "selectors" (read, quiz) on virtually everything.

No comments: