Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 05, 2002

I missed the Friday Five. Oh, well, is there any rule against doing it on Saturday, after all?



1. What size shoe do you wear? 6 1/2 WW, but those tend to be very expensive, so I tend to just go longer until I can get my foot in. No catalogue shopping for me.

2. How many pairs of shoes do you own? Four. I am not Imelda Marcos. Whenever I visit my grandmother and see the pairs and pairs of shoes she has, I get a very unfeminine blank look of wonder.

3. What type of shoe do you prefer (boots, sneakers, pumps, etc.)? Anything comfortable--sandals, sneakers, etc. I actually prefer to be barefoot, unless it's cold or I'm out in public. Right now I tend to wear some hiking boots because they have room for some inserts that help my knees and they support my ankles, which I notoriously turn. A lot.

4. Describe your favourite pair of shoes. Why are they your favorite? I don't really have a favourite pair. I suspect I would if I had a pair of Birkenstocks. One thing I do like about the boots is that while they're not pretty, they lift me up to a point of towering over people. I'm 5'4" normally. I get to be something like 5'7" between the soles and the inserts, without having to brave evil heels.

5. What's the most you've spent on one pair of shoes? Oh, gee, maybe $25. I really should spend more. I'm beginning to appreciate the need for good foot support. I'm lucky to have escaped bunions, callouses, etc., because I refuse to follow fashion over comfort. But I have some issues with my arches, gait, etc. that need better-quality shoes, probably, and with the diabetes, I have to be more careful of my feet, and I'm not supposed to wear open shoes.

No comments: