Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Aaaaahhhh....



To be home at last is a joy. But my days have perked up, too. The library is BEAUTIFUL. It's in the best order since I've been here, the back journals are ready to be sent for binding, and I can see my desk. I can also see people coming through the door for the first time in five years, due to some rearranging. The little room where the patient/family library will be is going well. We've ordered more bookshelves and then I need to fill them with books. For now, though, I'm catching up on some of my other duties, like working on an open house for Medical Librarian's month, preparing for an organisational meeting in December, and checking on some articles, although I spent a good couple of hours creating word puzzles for one of the departments because all the demos I downloaded wouldn't allow you to print one lousy copy as part of the trial period. Then it was on to TV night. I went to catch the last bus of the night and left my keys. My friend A came running out to the bus stop with them, at which point I rewarded him with some snack food. He saved me a lot of trouble. Besides, he's always appreciative of snacks.

I found out that while Shannon the rescue dog lady was away on her trip the puppy nearly died, was nursed back to health, and then her partner, not knowing I was interested, placed the puppy with the guy who was fostering her. I have to give him credit--not only did he get her through a rough patch, he actually moved because he wasn't allowed to have a dog at his old place. Now he lives upstairs from Shannon. All in all, I think it worked out well. I wasn't ready for a puppy, and I'm the last person who would insist on breaking up a team that had already bonded. Three weeks for a puppy is probably about on par with those kids who get snatched at about a year old back from their loving adoptive parents on a technicality. So, I'm a little disappointed, but I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I know that people are concerned because all of my pets are geriatric and it's a matter of time before I start losing them, but I'm not sure I'd want to add any more animals until that happens. Cerys loves being the only dog, for example. I certainly have responsibilities with her and the cats. Spock is like a large kitty magnet, and especially loves draping himself over my shoulders. Darius has turned from a feral, scared kitten into a very loving cat. Buns loves to be scratched--he's always so itchy. Right now he's having a flare-up where his ear has itched to a point where he broke the skin and it's gone into a mild infection. It happens occasionally when his allergies worsen. I'm keeping it cleaned and I'm using an antibacterial cream on it but it's not to a point where I have to take him to the vet yet. I don't think he really likes the cream--it's in a petroleum jelly form, and I've never particularly liked that sticky sensation, either. But I'm hoping that will clear it up without having to take him to the vet.

Okay, you probably don't want to hear about my cat's weird illnesses (just slightly less tedious than hearing about mine, I know). So here's something to end on a light note. It was an anonymous quote I came across today. "The reason more activists target fur than leather is that it's a lot easier to attack a rich woman than a to take on a whole motorcycle gang." :) :) :)

No comments: