Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, October 14, 2002

hi, it's me, feeling much better...(and yes, I know it's really "it's I" but that just sounds silly)



Reasons for feeling good:

1. I'm back on a regular medication schedule. Apparently I'd inadvertedly missed some doses while working on the great upheaval that has been my library, because I'd get busy and forget to eat, then forget to take my meds. Granted, my doctor had warned me about skipping doses, that there could be withdrawal. It doesn't stay in the body like Prozac does, so the effects are swift. But I didn't mean to skip doses, either. Ugh. Since Paxil is used against migraines, and I do get migraines, those always seem to hit first. But the weather had been weird and my stress was up, so I figured that was it. I didn't have any nausea or dizziness, but lots of lability and suicidal ideation. Lovely. I wouldn't recommend it. Anyway, if you're ever on Paxil, don't stop taking it abruptly--you have to wean off of it. A lot of doctors don't know that, which has led to litigation. Let me just reiterate that it has literally given me my life back--between obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety, and major depression, my life was becoming pretty unbearable. I just need to make sure I remember to take it--which is why I've got an alarm in my PDA that'll go off every day now. Anyway, I'm back to normal. Sorry if I raved too much.

2. I had a mystery/science fiction/superhero weekend. Zabet and her Hubby fed me, bought my "crazy candy" as it was dubbed--read Paxil--and rented Scooby Doo to cheer me up, then followed it up with High Spirits. Saturday I watched lots of things like "Mutant X", "Adventure, Inc.", and "Andromeda". Sunday we had the game. Our characters completed their initiations and gained several new abilities; then we were able to go back in time to the Salem witch trials and save one of the characters and kill the evil cultist in one fell swoop. Always a plus. Then I watched last week's "Charmed" and the new show "Birds of Prey". The latter is based off of a comic I used to read, with Huntress (the daughter of Batman and Catwoman), the Black Canary, and Oracle. Oracle is Barbara Gordan, aka Batgirl. She had been paralysed by being shot by the Joker (who also hired someone to kill Catwoman). For those who may not remember their DC character bios, Barbara Gordan is a librarian. No wonder she's one of my favourites, right? Well, she uses the codename Oracle because she serves as a base of information for various superheroes. She can instantly bring up necessary specifications, newspaper archives, whatever is needed to catch the bad guys. It's a great turn of fate, really. She has to deal with being in a wheelchair, no longer able to do the things she once did, but she uses her librarian abilities to still fight crime. Anyway, the series adaption was great--the characters mesh, and the actresses have done a good job. And I would love to have Oracle's lair and equipment.

3. I sold my first item on eBay. Not a biggie--it's an original Tom Swift novel, but ten bucks for something I found for free is nice, especially when someone for whom the book is special can get it in the bargain. I mean, I think it's neat, but I'm not attached to it like I am to some others, and so it'll just sit on my shelves otherwise. I hope the person enjoys it.

4. The Massive Project is almost completed. One more week and we should be open for business. I should have some volunteers to help with book labels and such tomorrow. Yey!

Hope you're having a good Monday, too. :D

No comments: