Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 25, 2002

Here's a spooky Friday Five!

1. What is your favorite scary movie?
Probably the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies. The first two and the last one, at least. I didn't see them until my 20s, and then they were used to demonstrate the perils of astral travel. :) My truly favourite supposedly horror movie is "Wicker Man", which has been adopted by most of my pagan friends; but we think it's neat, not horrorific.

2. What is your favorite Halloween treat?
Peanut-butter kisses, followed by the mellocreme pumpkins.

3. Do you dress up for Halloween? If so, describe your best Halloween costume.
Yes. Hmmm...my favourite was probably a "Planet of the Apes" costume when I was 7 of the character "Lisa". I got it because it had my name on it. Egocentric? Moi? It had that funky smell that those 70s plastic costumes had. One of the best was for "Rocky Horror Picture Show". I wore my father's handmade purple paisley tuxedo jacket (honestly, he had it made in Tokyo during the Vietnam War) and went as one of the groupies.

4. Do you enjoy going to haunted houses or other spooky events?
Oh, yes. One of the local belly/ethnic dance studios is doing a re-enactment of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" this weekend (30 zombies dancing down Limestone Street). There are usually candlelit tours of Henry Clay's home, Ashland, in my neighbourhood. And there are lots of haunted houses around UK. I can't really afford Phantom of the Opera or the Lexington's Ballet Dracula--yes, ballet, but they sound nifty.

5. Will you dress up for Halloween this year?
Yes. Ha, you didn't ask as what. I have the benefit of working in a children's hospital, and so staff are encouraged to dress up, especially since the kids come around trick-or-treating to the various offices. Our laboratory head once came as Dracula (you know, they take the blood tests). I'm leaning toward my mediaevelly-witch costume from last year's Harry Potter party. It's purple with silver tie ups, a big pointy hat, and a wimple. I do wimples well. It's a shame they went out of style centuries ago. I have a matching lavender/sparkly wig to match, and an owl and wand of my own.

No comments: