Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, May 13, 2002

I am a little tired of rain...



Today we got hit with near monsoon conditions--lots of wind and rain. At one point I noticed rain seeping in under one of the doors at work, opened up the door, and was hit with a solid wall of the stuff. Agh. At least it waited until I'd walked to work to start. Unfortunately, I forgot my umbrella tonight at DBT. So here's hoping we'll dry out tomorrow. It's a lot cooler, too. That's okay, but I think this is the latest I've ever had the heat on.

The plants love the rain, at least. I haven't had to do any watering. I'm hoping this isn't going to be one of those standard flooding-followed by drought we sometimes have as the weather patterns shift across the country.

Oh, and for the guy in line who insisted that the little $3 rose bush I bought at Home Depot would never grow, the one who wasn't a gardener himself but whose girlfriend grew roses (which somehow made him expert enough to pontificate) the one who said that the bare-root plant I got was substandard and would never make it, even though I didn't ask for his opinion, have gardened for years, have been raised by generations of gardeners, and was fully cognizant that it might not root but was willing to blow 3 bucks of my meagre gardening budget on the chance--I'll have you know that the little bush is happily potted, has leafed out magnificently, never lost so much as a leaf of the original sprouts, and has one beautiful bloom already. So there. Just because I'm a girl in a building materials store, that doesn't make me an idiot. (Now, hopefully I won't jinx the rose and discover hoards of Japanese beetles or something coming out this summer and turning it to lace).

Not much going on today otherwise. I told you before, Monday's DBT, so it's sort of my "come home brain dead" night. I think I'm going to get something to eat, do a little work around the house, and a little reading. Talk to you later.

No comments: